Convert HEIF to JPG on Mac like a Boss: Expert Tips & Tricks
Great things develop over time; therefore, it can take some time before HEIC becomes popular. Following iOS 2017, Apple introduced a comparatively new file format, HEIF (High-Efficiency Image Format). It is a newer image format that was introduced with iOS 11. It is designed to save space on your Apple device by compressing photos, but it can also cause issues when trying to share or view the images on other devices that don’t support the format. In this article, we will go over how to convert HEIF to JPG on a Mac.
People frequently need to convert HEIF to JPG to prevent incompatibilities, even though it is bound to the Apple ecosystem and is not widespread on other devices. Thankfully, you can convert HEIF to JPG on a MAC using built-in programs like Photos and Previews. We’ll walk you through everything in this article and show you how to use an all-encompassing media converter to change file types quickly.
What is HEIF Image?
HEIF is a relatively new image file format that the MPEG developed to improve the shortcomings of the traditional JPEG format. HEIF files use advanced compression algorithms to store images in a smaller size without compromising image quality. This format supports lossless and lossy compression, storing multiple images, image sequences, and even videos in a single file.
HEIF is widely used by modern mobile devices, such as iPhones and Android smartphones, because it can significantly reduce the storage space needed to store images while still preserving their high quality. Many software applications, including Apple Photos, Google Photos, Adobe Photoshop, and many others, support the format. However, not all devices and applications support HEIF yet, which can make it difficult to share these files with others who do not have the necessary software or hardware to view them.
How do HEIC Images Work?
- HEIF is a file format for storing and sharing images introduced by the MPEG group in 2015. It is designed to provide higher-quality images with smaller file sizes than traditional formats such as JPEG.
- HEIF images use a more advanced compression algorithm called HEVC (High-Efficiency Video Coding) or H.265, also used for compressing videos. This compression algorithm can compress images more efficiently by dividing the image into smaller tiles and using various techniques to reduce the redundancy within the image data.
- In addition to the more advanced compression algorithm, HEIF also supports features such as multiple images in a single file, image thumbnails, and a wide colour gamut. These features allow for more efficient storage and sharing of images while maintaining high quality.
- HEIF is supported by various devices and platforms, including Apple’s iOS 11 and later, macOS High Sierra and Android 9 Pie and, later, and Windows 10 with the appropriate codecs installed.
How to Immediately Transform HEIF to JPG?
Check if your Mac Supports HEIF Files
Before we start the conversion process, ensuring your Mac supports HEIF files is important. If you have a Mac with macOS High Sierra or later, you should be able to view and edit HEIF files in the Photos app without additional software. If your macOS version is outdated, you might need to install a HEIF to JPG converter.
Open the Photos App on Mac
Once you have confirmed that your Mac supports HEIF files, open the Photos app. You can do this by clicking on the Photos icon in your dock or searching for it in Spotlight.
Select the HEIF Files You Want to Convert
Next, select the HEIF files you want to convert to JPG. You can choose multiple files by clicking on them and dragging them over one another while holding down the Command key.
Export the Selected HEIF Files
Select Export from the File menu in the menu bar after selecting your HEIF files. You may also use the keyboard combination Command + Shift + E.
Choose the Export Options
You will see several options for exporting your files in the Export window. Under the Export As dropdown menu, choose JPEG. Additionally, you can pick the resolution and storage location for the produced photographs.
Export the Files
Once you have selected your export options, click on the Export button. The Photos app will convert your HEIF to JPG and save them to the location you specified in the previous step.
Verify the Exported Files
After the conversion process, verifying that the exported JPG files are working correctly is a good idea. Open a few files in a photo viewer or editor to ensure they look how you expect them to.
Bonus Step: Using a Third-Party Converter
If you don’t want to use the Photos app or have an older version of macOS that doesn’t support HEIF files, you can use a third-party converter to convert your files. One popular option is the iMazing HEIC Converter, a free tool that can convert HEIF to JPG on a Mac. To use this tool, drag and drop your HEIF files into the iMazing HEIC Converter window and choose the export options. Click on the Convert button, and the tool will convert your files to JPG.
How to use Photos to Convert a HEIF Image to a JPG
To convert a HEIF image to a JPG using the Photos app on a Mac, you can follow these steps:
- Open the Photos app on your Mac.
• Find the HEIF image you want to convert.
• Select the image by clicking on it.
• Tap the “File” menu and select “Export.”
• In the Export window, select “JPG.”
• Choose the size and quality you want for the exported image.
• Select the place where you want to save the exported image.
• Click the “Export” button to convert and save the HEIF image as a JPG.
That’s all! The Photos app will convert the HEIF image to a JPG and save it in the specified location. You can now use the JPG image as you usually would.
Using Preview, How to Convert HEIF to JPG?
You can use the Preview app on a Mac to convert a HEIF image to a JPG by following these steps:
- Open the HEIF image in Preview by double-clicking on the file or opening it from the Preview app.
• Tap the “File” menu and select “Export.”
• In the Export window, select “JPEG.”
• Choose the quality you want for the exported image. You may use the slider to adjust the quality or choose a preset from the dropdown.
• Choose the destination where you will save the exported image.
• Click the “Save” button to convert and save the HEIF image as a JPG.
Don’t worry if you have HEIC images from your iPhone or iPad stored on your computer, as Microsoft has a simple solution to make them readable in any software. You can seamlessly view these files by installing the HEIF Image Extension codec, a decoder that translates data between various formats. It’s worth noting that HEIF and HEIC files are interrelated. To install the codec, head to the Microsoft app store and click the “Get” button on the HEIF Image Extension page. Once Windows has finished installing the codec, all HEIC files will function properly in any Windows program. Converting HEIF to JPG on Mac is a simple process that you can do using the built-in Preview app, Automator, or a third-party app. Choose the best method and enjoy your HEIF files in a more widely supported format.